Get your equipment ready
You need the basic equipment to start working with Xangle. For a 100 cameras setup, you should have at least these items:
- 100 cameras (same model)
- 100 usb cables
- 25 Raspberry Pi (4 cameras per Pi) + microSd cards
- Power for the cameras (we recommend Esper Powerboxes)
- Network switches
- One Windows computer
Connect your cameras to the Raspberry Pis (usb cable), then the Pis to the Switches (network cables), then the switches to a master one or to your computer.
Getting started with the software
- Unzip the file on a folder on your desktop
- Launch xangleCs.exe
- The system is going to request your credentials. Use the login/password that has been provided
- Select the license (top left), then click on “load in Xangle Server”
Prepare your cameras
- Canon cameras: follow this procedure: https://xangle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028561291
- Android devices: follow this one: https://xangle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026635632
Raspberry Pi installations
The only required configuration for the Raspberry Pis is to flash our software into microsd cards. Check out the full procedure here: https://xangle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360029696451
The first thing you should do when you open Xangle Camera Server is to set your number of cameras. To do so, click on the camera count (top right corner), and change the number. The default value is 12 cameras.
Ordering your cameras
The easiest way to order your cameras is to use our auto system.
- Turn off all of your cameras.
- Turn your cameras on again, one by one, starting with the first one. Make sure your camera gets connected to the app before turning the following camera on.
- Once you've turned on all of your cameras, and that you see them all on the software, click on the "Automatically assign camera numbers" button on the dashboard.
- The numbers will be assigned automatically in the order the cameras have started.
If you happen to have an issue with a camera that is not numbered correctly, or you have two cameras that you want to swap, you can either use the "Swap two camera numbers" button or click on one of the cameras and manually assign a number to it, using the "Assign number" button
Focus the lenses
From the dashboard, click on auto-focus, and perform one of the two methods of doing auto-focus. The two options work very differently depending on camera model and light conditions. Experiment with both to know which one works best with your current configuration. Check out the full procedure here: https://xangle.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028500252
Once have performed the steps above, you're ready to take your first photogrammetry set of pictures!
Explore other options relevant to Xangle Camera Server for Photogrammetry: